Don’t criminalise trespass
The Government’s manifesto stated “we will make intentional trespass a criminal offence”: an extreme, illiberal & unnecessary attack on ancient freedoms that would threaten walkers, campers, and the wider public. It would further tilt the law in favour of the landowning 1% who own half the country.
For a thousand years, trespass has been a civil offence – but now the Government is proposing to make trespass a criminal offence: a crime against the state. Doing so could:
– Criminalise ramblers who stray even slightly from the path;
– Remove the ability of local residents to establish new rights of way;
– Criminalise wild camping, denying hikers a night under the stars;
– Clamp down on peaceful protest, a fundamental right and essential part of our democracy;
– Impact Traveller communities.
Please sign – https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300139