Ban after man found guilty of fox hunting incident which injured two dogs


NWHSA comment: What a fucking joke this fine and ban is.

A Black Country man has been banned from keeping dogs for 12 months after being found guilty of fox hunting.

Stephen Parkes, from Walsall, was arrested after his two terriers got injured when he sent them down a hole.

He was also told to pay fines and court costs totalling £500 after being convicted of two charges related to fox hunting at Birmingham Magistrates Court, following a trial.

Sentencing 35-year-old, Parkes District Judge Neil Davison told him: “I simply don’t believe the account you have given in court. You deliberately sent those two dogs into the hole which resulted in the deaths of two foxes and injuries to Ted and Bully. From photographs shown in court you clearly have an interest in hunting.”

Parkes, of Bloxwich Road, Leamore, was convicted of one case of causing unnecessary suffering to his two tri-coloured terrier dogs, Ted and Bully, on November 29 last year.

He was also found guilty of fox hunting under the under the 2004 Hunting Act.

In court, it was revealed how two police officers had spotted a Ford Mondeo car on wasteland on Goscote Lodge Crescent, Goscote, at around 5.30pm on November 29. Inside were two dogs who had blood around their muzzles.

The officers approached a group of around eight men who had torches and when they announced themselves as police they fled along with several dogs.

But Parkes and another man didn’t run and were both holding spades.

Two dead foxes were on the ground without their tales – a sign they had been cut off as a trophy.

In court, Parkes admitted he told police shortly after being caught: “Yeah, I will hold my hands up I was fox hunting.” However, he later said he was being sarcastic.

Giving evidence, Parkes said he had taken the two dogs for a walk and had let them off the lead. Bully had gone missing so he sent down Ted to find her.

But both dogs wouldn’t come back up so he spent several hours digging for them.

In court, the unemployed father of two said: “I love those dogs. I would never take them home injured as I have two little daughters and they would be upset. I wouldn’t want them going to school telling their teachers. I was going to take them straight to the vets at Quinton.”

The dogs were taken to the vets where they were examined. Both had “multiple small wounds” to their muzzles and signs of an infection to their eyes.

A postmortem revealed both foxes had died of injuries consistent with dog bites.

It was also revealed Parkes had a conviction for interfering with a badger sett dating back to 2004.

Speaking after the case RSPCA Inspector Bob Crutchley said: “We are happy with the sentence. This sends out a clear message that fox hunting using dogs will not be tolerated.

“Parkes had a history of hunting using dogs and we are pleased he has now been banned from keeping them.

“Fox hunting is quite rare in the Black Country and Birmingham areas but as can be seen by this case it does go on. Detecting it is the problem.”

A deprivation and disposal order for Ted and Bully was also ordered at court.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/ban-after-man-found-guilty-12021880

North West Hunt Saboteurs Association

07960 038230
www.nwhsa.org.uk
info
Blog – https://nwhsa.wordpress.com

Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/ManchesterHuntSabs

You can also donate using the link on our web page – www.nwhsa.org.uk

Direct Action Against All Forms of bloodsports

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s